You guys saw, that I literally couldn’t help myself but to sneak actual bites of this Summer Panzanella salad out of the fridge when I made it the first time! So with that, I knew I HAD to share it with all of you!Since this salad has sourdough bread in it, it’s definitely filling enough to make as a weeknight dinner! However, it would be the perfect salad to make when you have guests over as a side to pasta, steak, or chicken. What’s great about this recipe is that you really can add just omit or add really anything to it and it will be delish!**Disclaimer: Not to sound high maintenance but I use all organic ingredients, honestly because they taste SO much better. And if I can find local organic that’s even better! Trust me!
So with that! Here’s the recipe and be sure to check out the Laguna Chardonnay I paired with it!
Summer Panzanella Salad Paired With Laguna Chardonnay
- 3-5 Fresh Heirloom Tomatoes
- 1 Avocado
- 2-3 Slices of toasted Sourdough bread: can be stale or fresh!
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- ½ cup Pickled Red Onions (recipe below)
- Fresh organic corn straight from 1 cobb
- Burrata or Mozzarella cheese (if you haven’t tried Barrata you MUST!)
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh basil
Pickled Red Onion Recipe:
- 1 One red onion
- ½ kettle boiled hot water
- ¾ cup White Vinegar
- ½ cup cold water
- 1 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 cloves of garlic
How to make the onions:
- Slice the red onion into thin slices and place in a collander
- Boil a kettle of hot water
- Once water is boiled pour over the onions and let sit
- Get a mason jar and add the: vinegar, cold water, sugar, salt, and garlic
- Add the onions to the jar and refrigerate for up to a week! Use in salads, on burgers, etc.
For the Dressing:
- ¼- ½ cup Balsamic Vinegar
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- Salt & Pep to taste
How to Make the Dressing:
- Add all ingredients to a mason jar or bowl, shake or whisk ingredients all together!
How to Make the Salad:
- Grab a big bowl and chop up the tomatoes into bite size piece and season with salt to bring out the flavor. Let sit for 10 minutes while you prep the rest.
- Chop up the avocado, burrata/mozzerlla into chucks and add to bowl
- Add Pickled onions and corn
- Slice sourdough into 1 inch cubes
- Heat up a cast iron pan on medium/low and add the butter
- Add the sourdough bread and toast the bread. I added more during the process of toasting because you really can’t have enough butter. Season with Salt and Pep
- Once bread is toasted, add to the bowl!
- Pour ½ the dressing over the salad and toss
- Pour the rest over the salad and toss a second time
- Sprinkle the basil over the top
- Stick in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to let soak
Wine Pairing Suggestion!
I loved pairing this salad with Laguna Chardonnay! It had the perfect hints of pear and peaches that works perfectly with this salad!
If you make this salad and enjoy it, please be sure to snap a pic, share it on your stories, and tag @whiskeyandlace!